The Metropolitan Hotel circa 1950.
Hemlock’s 150-year-old colonial hostelry has a new owner, Rudolph Johnson of Geneva. Purchase has been made from the estate of Elizabeth Haggerty, and Mr. Johnson plans to redecorate and to make other changes in tune with the times, yet maintaining the colonial flavor.
The south end of the building, the old tavern, is believed to date back to 1810. In 1849 the larger part was built.
Opening as a hotel on Memorial Day, 30 May 1850, the “Met” has had several owners. Longest tenure was by the late Will Haggerty, who owned and operated it for some 60 years, beginning in the 1880’s. His daughter, Elizabeth, carried on the tradition following her father’s death in December of 1945 at the age of 95. The 100th anniversary of the hotel was celebrated with an open house on 30 May, 1950.