Hemlock and Canadice Lakes

Welcome to Hemlock and Canadice Lakes!

Home About Us Contact Us Links Sitemap

 

Barns Businesses Cemeteries Churches Clinton & Sullivan Columns Communities Documents Events Time Line Fairs & Festivals Farm & Garden Hiking Homesteads Lake Cottages Lake Scenes Library News Articles Old Maps Old Roads & Bridges People Photo Gallery Railroad Reservoir Schools State Forest Veterans Videos

 

 

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of Hemlock NY

Click any image to enlarge.

hcl_community_hemlock_1844c_baptist_church_under_construction_resize426x344

1

The First Baptist Church of Hemlock NY was dedicated in August of 1844 and had cost $1500 to construct.

From facts furnished by Burnell Briggs it is learned that in 1834 Caleb Briggs of the Baptist faith came from Richmond and Canadice and held meetings with a small group of people in the home of Elias Archer, near the foot of Hemlock Lake.

Services were held in the homes of the vicinity for four years, until in 1838 the people organized themselves into a society called the Baptist Church of Hemlock Lake. Services were held in the local schoolhouse until 1844, when the site of the present Baptist Church was purchased.

Sometime later the Baptist society, which used to meet in the building near what was then known as the Curtiss Schoolhouse about two miles east of Hemlock, disbanded and many of the members joined with the church at Hemlock. This brought the membership up to a sizable number. This photo shows the church under construction in 1844. Photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1880_reservoir_gatehouse1_resize480x365

2

The Gatehouse at the Hemlock Lake Reservoir in 1880. The reservoir is located about one mile south of the village of Hemlock. The reservoir began delivering water to the City of Rochester in 1876. In this scene Hemlock Lake can be seen through the trees to the right.

Photo and information courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1880_reservoir_gatehouse2_resize480x472

3

A view of the Gatehouse at Hemlock Lake NY in 1880. This is the side of the house that faced south, toward the lake. The shoreline can be seen in the foreground, the photographer must have been in a boat or ferry.

Photo and information courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1895_beams_mill_gullsburgh_resize480x379

4

The Beam Mill in Gullsburgh in 1895 was located to the south of the village of Hemlock NY. It was one of several mills run by the Beam Company in the area. This building was located near the intersection of State Route 15A and the Old Bald Hill Road North. The people in the picture are unidentified.

Photo courtesy of Tom Westbrook.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_main_st_looking_north01_resize480x294

5

A north looking view of Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. On the right is the Metropolitan Hotel with an unidentified boy standing in front. On the left is the Knapp store. Above the tree tops to the left is the steeple of the Methodist church. On the far distant hill is an unidentified barn.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_main_st_looking_north02_resize456x304

6

A north looking view of Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. The Metropolitan hotel is seen behind the group of men and their buggies. The people are unidentified.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_main_st_looking_north03_resize480x298

7

A north looking view of Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. The lumber business was booming then. Here, a steamer pulls three wagons loaded with lumber. They were probably going to the Lehigh train depot just north and west of the village.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_main_st_looking_north04_resize480x298

8

A north looking view of Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. At the bridge the steamer can be seen pulling loads of lumber, probably going to the Lehigh train depot which was located just north and west of the village. Soon, just after passing the Methodist church, the steamer and its load would turn left toward the railroad station.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_main_st_looking_south01_resize480x307

9

A south looking view of Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. On the left is Scanlon’s hotel, the Onehda Lodge and finally the Metropolitan hotel. The buildings on the right are not clearly identified.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_main_st_looking_south02_resize480x343

10

A south looking view of Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. On the left is Scanlon’s hotel, the Onehda Lodge and then the Metropolitan hotel.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_main_st_looking_south03_resize480x286

11

A south looking view of Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. On the left is the Onehda Lodge and then the Metropolitan hotel. Scanlon’s hotel is just out of view to the left.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_mill_dam01_resize480x244

12

The mill dam and Hoppough pond from Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. The view is looking west and was probably taken from the bridge in the center of the village. Hoppough pond was created from water coming from Hemlock lake which is about 1 mile south of the village. The dam provided power to the mills until about the 1920’s when electricity became available in the rural village.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_mill_dam02_resize480x344

13

Hoppough pond looking to the north-west from Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. The photo was probably taken from just south of the bridge in the center of the village. There are men fishing from their boats on the pond. The water tower for the Lehigh trains can be seen on the far side of the pond. The white cloud over the bushes to the right may be from the Canning factory that was located near the train depot.

The sign under the dam spillway advertises “10 cent cigars for 5 cents”.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_mill_dam03_with_man_on_top_resize480x287

14

Another view of Hoppough pond looking to the north-west from Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. In this view a man can be seen standing on the spillway waving to the photographer. The identity of the man is unknown. On the far side of the pond is what appears to be a train, leaving or arriving is unknown.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_mill_dam04_gate_open_resize480x268

15

A close view of the dam at Hoppough pond in Hemlock NY circa 1900. The gates have been opened to run-off excess water. The building at the far end of the dam was a mill that burnt circa 1917. Another mill was built to replace it and would eventually become the Turner’s Hemlock Agway (2012).

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_mill_pond01_horses_resize480x268

16

A view of horses drinking at the dam spillway at Hoppough pond in Hemlock NY circa 1900.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_mill_pond02_resize480x302

17

A view from above the dam at Hoppough pond in Hemlock NY circa 1900. Here the view is to the north-east and toward Main street in the village. The mill on the left burnt circa 1917 and was rebuilt. On the east side of Main street is Scanlon’s hotel which was just north of the creek. The people in the photo are unidentified.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_onehda_lodge_resize480x348

18

The Onehda Lodge in Hemlock NY circa 1900. It stood on the east side of Main street just north of the creek in the center of the village. At that time the lodge was the meeting place of the International Order of Odd Fellows, No. 220. There were events and movies presented at the lodge. The signs on the front porch advertise a Barber Shop and Syracuse Plows. Here is a news clip taken from the Livonia Gazette on 24 March 1933:

Onehda Lodge, No. 220, I.O.O.F. of Hemlock celebrated the 35th anniversary of its organization Thursday night of last week and also the regular county visitors’ night. Visitors were present form Geneseo, Mount Morris, Dansville and Nunda. The main event of the evening was a talk by District Deputy H. D. Waldron of Sonyea. Lunch was served after the meeting.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_stacy_vet_office_resize480x296

19

The Stacy Veterinary and Forge in Hemlock circa 1900. The location of this shop is unknown.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_hemlock_1900c_knapp_store01_prefire_resize480x374

20

This is a photo of the original Knapp store on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. The store was located just south of the bridge. The view in this photo is looking west at the front of the store. This building burnt in 1908 and was replaced.

The people in the buggy and sitting in front of the store are unidentified.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Connor.

hcl_community_hemlock_1908_knapp_store02_prefire_resize480x278

21

Another photo of the original Knapp store looking north along Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1908. This building burnt that year of 1908 and was replaced. The building had been built circa 1900.

This photo courtesy of Douglas Connor.

hcl_community_hemlock_1908_knapp_store03_burned_resize480x290

22

A photo of the ruins of the Knapp store on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1908. The building burnt in 1908 and was replaced. The white barn on the left was spared and can be seen in the earlier photo of 1900.

Photo courtesy of Jane Schryver.

hcl_community_hemlock_1908_knapp_store04_unfinished_resize480x305

23

A photo of the new Knapp store on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1908. The building burnt that year of 1908 and in this photo is under construction and nearly complete. Notice the new stone or concrete block on the front right announcing the year 1908.

The people in this photo are unidentified.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Connor.

hcl_community_hemlock_1908_knapp_store05_finished_resize480x347

24

A photo of the new Knapp store on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1908. The building burnt that year of 1908 and in this photo the re-construction is complete and George E. Knapp has replaced his name over the entrance of his store. On display in the windows are clothing, hardware and a sign announcing fireworks.

Notice the stone block on the front right announcing the year 1908 in which it was rebuilt. The man sitting on the upper balcony has not been identified.

To the far right is the Purcell Lumber store.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Connor.

hcl_community_hemlock_1908_knapp_store06_post_fire_resize480x303

25

A photo of the Knapp store on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1908, after the fire. The building burnt in 1908 and was rebuilt. An auto is parked in front of the store and a small group of people stands in front of the store and a woman stands on the balcony above. None of the people in this picture are identified.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_hemlock_1909_hoppough_pond_resize480x239

26

A photo looking across the Hoppough pond at the village of Hemlock NY circa 1909. The view is looking east toward the village. To the left is the water tower near the Lehigh railroad station. Then the steeple of the Methodist church can be seen. And in the center distance stands the Metropolitan hotel which was on Main street.

This photo courtesy of Douglas Connor.

hcl_community_hemlock_1909_lehigh_rr_depot_resize480x239

27

A photo of the Lehigh Railroad depot in Hemlock NY circa 1909. The depot was located just to the north-east of the village. Behind the train can be seen the tall smoke stack of the Hemlock Canning factory where many people were employed in the harvest seasons.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_hemlock_1910_lehigh_rr_depot_resize480x300

28

A photo of the Lehigh Railroad depot in Hemlock NY circa 1910. The depot was located just to the north-west of the village.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_hemlock_1910_scanlan_hotel_resize480x345

29

The Scanlan’s hotel in Hemlock NY in 1910. The hotel was located on the east side of Main street just north of the bridge. None of the people on the balcony have been identified.

Daniel J. Scanlan gave up the hotel in 1917. Here is a news clip about the auction of Scanlan hotel:

E. R. Bolles’ Auction Notes - Saturday, May 19, 1917 at 1 p.m. for D. J. Scanlan of Hemlock; the entire contents of the Scanlan Hotel; Mr. Scanlan having discontinued the hotel business and being about to leave Hemlock. This is not junk, but a clean, bright lot, much of which is nearly new, and all having been well cared for and in good condition.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_hemlock_1911_rochester_aldermen_at_hemlock_resize480x304

30

The Rochester Aldermen visited Hemlock in 1911 to evaluate progress at the Hemlock Lake Reservoir. Here they are shown in front of the Metropolitan Hotel.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1912_metropolitan_hotel_resize480x288

31

A photo of the Metropolitan hotel on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1912. The Metropolitan was opened as a hotel on Memorial Day, May 30, 1850. The south end of the building, which was the old original tavern, was erected about 1810. The hotel was a stop-over on the old stage coach route, in the days before the railroad.

During the 1880’s the hotel was purchased by Will Haggerty, who ran it for some 60 years. His daughter, Elizabeth, continued to operate the Metropolitan after her father’s death in December, 1945 at 95 years of age. The 100th anniversary of the hotel was celebrated with an open house on May 30, 1950.

This photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1912_metropolitan_hotel_band_resize480x360

32

A photo of a band playing in front of the Metropolitan hotel on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1912. The Metropolitan was opened as a hotel on Memorial Day, May 30, 1850. The south end of the building, which was the old original tavern, was erected about 1810. The hotel was a stop-over on the old stage coach route, in the days before the railroad.

During the 1880’s the hotel was purchased by Will Haggerty, who ran it for some 60 years. His daughter, Elizabeth, continued to operate the Metropolitan after her father’s death in December, 1945 at 95 years of age. The 100th anniversary of the hotel was celebrated with an open house on May 30, 1950.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_hemlock_1912_going_to_fair_resize480x234

33

A crowd of people going to the Hemlock Fair in 1912. They appear to be coming from the Lehigh railroad station and are walking the short distance to the fair grounds.

Photo courtesy of Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_hemlock_1912_main_st_looking_south_resize480x290

34

A view looking south along Main street in Hemlock NY in 1912.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1912_scutts_garage_resize480x330

35

Scutt’s garage on south Main street in Hemlock NY in 1912. It was located just south of the bridge in the center of the village. Falls tires with Evergreen tube and SOCONY oil were sold there as well as two grades of fuel, one at 23 cents and the other at 20 cents.

Photo courtesy of Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1914_union_school1_resize480x300

36

The Union School on south Main street in Hemlock NY in 1914. This school house burnt down in 1928 and a new brick school was built to replace it in 1929. The brick school house still stands (2013) and is used as a community building as well as for some light business.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1914_union_school2_resize480x290

37

Another photo of the Union School on south Main street in Hemlock NY in 1914.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1920_bessie_dunn_house_north_of_school_resize480x372

38

A photo of Bessie Dunn’s house on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1920. This house is just north of the school house in Hemlock. The eave of the school house can just be seen on the right edge of the photo.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1920_knapp_store_inside_resize480x330

39

A photo of the inside of the Knapp store on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1920. The building burnt in 1908 and was rebuilt.

Putnam-Noyes tents are advertised on the right. The reputation of the Putnam-Noyes tents goes back to the battle of Bunker Hill in the Revolution in 1775.

The woman sitting behind the counter is unidentified.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1920_lehigh_rr_station_canning_factory_resize480x293

40

A photo of the Lehigh Railroad station and Canning Factory north west of the village of Hemlock NY in 1920.

Photo courtesy of Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1920_thurston_hotel_next_to_depot_resize480x330

41

A photo of the Thurson hotel next to the Lehigh station in Hemlock NY in 1920.

Photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1926_metropolitan_hotel_resize480x336

42

The Metropolitan hotel on Main street in Hemlock NY in 1926. The Metropolitan was opened as a hotel on Memorial Day, May 30, 1850. The south end of the building, which was the old original tavern, was erected about 1810. The hotel was a stop-over on the old stage coach route, in the days before the railroad.

During the 1880’s the hotel was purchased by Will Haggerty, who ran it for some 60 years. His daughter, Elizabeth, continued to operate the Metropolitan after her father’s death in December, 1945 at 95 years of age. The 100th anniversary of the hotel was celebrated with an open house on May 30, 1950.

Courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1930c_hemlock_canning_factory1_resize480x300

43

A photo of the people who worked at the Canning Factory in Hemlock circa 1930. The Canning factory was located to the north west of the Hemlock village and near the Lehigh Railroad station. None of the people in this photo have been identified.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1930c_hemlock_canning_factory2_resize480x302

44

A photo of the people who worked at the “Evaporator” of the Canning Factory in Hemlock circa 1930. The Canning factory was located to the north west of the Hemlock village and near the Lehigh Railroad station. None of the people in this photo have been identified.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1930c_hemlock_canning_factory3_resize480x300

45

A photo of the people who worked at the Canning Factory in Hemlock circa 1930. The Canning factory was located to the north west of the Hemlock village and near the Lehigh Railroad station. None of the people in this photo have been identified.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1930c_main_st_unknown_workers1_resize480x285

46

A photo of men working on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1930. None of the people in this photo have been identified.

This photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1930c_main_st_unknown_workers2_resize480x286

47

A photo of men working on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1930. None of the people in this photo have been identified.

This photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1940_reservoir_caretakers_house_resize480x233

48

A photo of the caretakers house at Hemlock Lake NY circa 1940.

This photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1940c_scutts_garage_resize480x336

49

Scutt’s garage on Main street in Hemlock Lake NY circa 1940. The year and model of the auto is unknown. The people in the photo are unidentified.

This photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1947_knapp_store_inside_resize480x366

50

A photo of the inside of the Knapp store on Main street in Hemlock NY in 1947. There is a calendar on the wall for the year 1947. The building burnt in 1908 and was rebuilt.

None of the people in this photo have been identified.

Photo courtesy of the Livonia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_1977_metropolitan_hotel_fire4_resize480x366

51

A photo of the fire that destroyed the Metropolitan hotel on Main street in Hemlock NY in May of 1977. The Metropolitan was opened as a hotel on Memorial Day, May 30, 1850. The south end of the building, which was the old original tavern, was erected about 1810. The hotel was a stop-over on the old stage coach route, in the days before the railroad.

During the 1880’s the hotel was purchased by Will Haggerty, who ran it for some 60 years. His daughter, Elizabeth, continued to operate the Metropolitan after her father’s death in December, 1945 at 95 years of age. The 100th anniversary of the hotel was celebrated with an open house on May 30, 1950.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1985_1812_country_store_resize480x300

52

A photo of the 1812 Country Store on Main street in Hemlock NY in 1985.

Photo courtesy of Lee Wemett.

hcl_community_hemlock_1996_reservoir_gatehouse3_resize480x312

53

A photo of the Gatehouse for the reservoir at Hemlock Lake NY in 1996. This was the original gatehouse built circa 1900 when the reservoir was first established. It was removed in 1996 after the new water treatment plant was built in 1993.

Photo courtesy of the Livoinia Historical Society.

hcl_community_hemlock_2011_school_resize480x360

54

A photo of the school building in Hemlock Lake NY as it appeared in 2011. This building was constructed in 1929 to replace the Union school which burnt on that site in 1928. The school house now (2011) is a community center and the location of some light industries.

www.HemlockandCanadiceLakes.com