Hemlock and Canadice Lakes

Welcome to Hemlock and Canadice Lakes!

Home About Us Contact Us Links Sitemap

 

Barns Businesses Cemeteries Churches Clinton & Sullivan Columns Communities Documents Events Time Line Fairs & Festivals Farm & Garden Hiking Homesteads Lake Cottages Lake Scenes Library News Articles Old Maps Old Roads & Bridges People Photo Gallery Railroad Reservoir Schools State Forest Veterans Videos

 

 

 

 

 

“History of Canadice” by Beverly Deats

Photos and information courtesy of Andrea and Bob Deats.

The History of Canadice

Chapter 4 - Perfection at Pittstown

by Beverly Deats

1980

Captain Peter Pitts and his sons first set their feet upon the soil of this valley May 31, 1789. The perfection of the town was completed on the first part of April 1796 when the first town meeting was held.

Excerpts from the minutes are as follows:

The name of the district was changed from Honeoye to Pittstown.

Lemuel Chapman shall receive $5.00 for 2 years service as Supervisor.

Forty shillings (about $10.00) shall be paid as bounty for each wolf “catch” in the town.

Hogs would be allowed to run at large.

Sixteen pounds tax ($80.00) shall be raised to defray town expense.

The name of Pittstown was changed to Honeoye in 1808, and to Richmond in 1818.

Canadice was set off April 15, 1829.

www.HemlockandCanadiceLakes.com