Mrs. Sarah P Short, whose death was briefly noticed in the Gazette last week, was born in the town of Rehoboth, Bristol county, Massachusetts, in the year 1805, January 2d.
She was married in 1823 to Josiah Short of the same place, and removed to the town of Richmond, Ontario county, the same year in a covered wagon drawn by a pair of horses owned and driven by William Short, who had some time previously preceded them. Her husband, Josiah Short, in company with James Goff and George Walker, came two years previously on foot the whole distance - about five hundred miles. Mr. Short purchased the farm owned and occupied by Aberdeen Smith, father of William Smith of Livonia. A portion of the same farm is now owned by Hiram Adams and John Norgate. James Goff settled in the town of Bristol and died there several years ago. George Walker went back to Massachusetts on foot - the same way they came - making the trip in twenty days each way. They remained in Richmond about nine years, when they removed to Livonia (in 1832), purchasing the farm of Sylvester Meeker, at which place he lived and died twenty-one years ago, aged 74.
They had seven children, namely, J. C. Short of Livonia (the oldest), O. L. Short of Cambridge, Mich., S. T. Short of Livonia, Mrs. D. M. Reed of Richmond, Mrs. A. L. Bullock, recently deceased, of Brocton, Mass., Cordelia, who died in childhood, and Mrs. L. B. Ray of Concord, Mich.
At the time of Mrs. Short’s death she had living twenty-one grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren, there being four generations present at the funeral, where a large number of friends and neighbors were gathered to tender their tribute of respect for the departed.
The funeral was held at the house, the Rev. Mr. Wadsworth preaching the sermon, assisted by the Revs. Slaysman and Wyman.