The Miller Lure Co in Springwater NY in 1937.
In 1919 Edmund Miller moved his family from Buffalo NY to Springwater NY and took up partnership with Charles Cannon producing earphone headsets. After ten years the partnership was dissolved when Miller sold out to Cannon, and Miller began the manufacture of metal fishing lures in the Morris and Grover building at the center of the Springwater village.
Miller, in his new venture, made the “Min-Nix” line of metal lures, which was the trade name used by Roy Nixon, a local resident, who for a few years before had designed and made a few types of metal lures.
However, Miller shortly dropped the “Min-Nix” line and continued the business with the manufacture of spinners, trout spoons and wobblers of his own design. One of his most successful metal lures was a wobbler originated by Scott N. Robinson, a local fisherman. This wobbler was designed in several sizes by Miller and became widely known as an excellent lure for pickerel, northern pike and muskellunge.
Miller continued to manufacture his lures for thirty years until he and his wife retired in 1958 selling the business to Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Strawsburg of West Bloomfield.
Edmund Miller Sr. of Springwater NY in 1944.
Edmund was an avid fisherman and frequented the waters of Hemlock and Canadice lakes near Springwater. Here he is shown with a 5 1/2 pound lake trout that he caught at Canadice Lake in 1944.
Behind Edmund, on the left of the photo, can be seen the Miller Manufacture Co. building and the stairs that went up the south side of the building.
Below are shown some of his famous fishing lures.
Click any image to enlarge.