Hemlock and Canadice Lakes

Welcome to Hemlock and Canadice Lakes!

Home About Us Contact Us Links Sitemap

 

Barns Businesses Cemeteries Churches Clinton & Sullivan Columns Communities Documents Events Time Line Fairs & Festivals Farm & Garden Hiking Homesteads Lake Cottages Lake Scenes Library News Articles Old Maps Old Roads & Bridges People Photo Gallery Railroad Reservoir Schools State Forest Veterans Videos

 

 

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of Springwater NY

Press “Ctrl - F” to search this page.

hcl_community_springwater_1898_main_st_looking_north_resize480x288

1

This is a view looking north along the Main street of Springwater NY in 1898. On the far left stands the Marvin building and then the Allen Whitlock store which burnt in 1909. On the right are the buildings of J. G. Morris. The wooden sidewalks were popular then and can be seen in several of the other photos of the four corners in Springwater.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Michael Duffy.

hcl_community_springwater_1900c_main_st_looking_south_howe_ave01_resize480x288

2

This is a view looking north along the Main street of Springwater NY toward the village center circa 1900. On the near left side is the bridge that went onto Howe Avenue. Then on the left is the house of W. H. Capron and on the right side of the street is the house of Mrs. N. Withington.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1900c_main_st_looking_south_howe_ave02_resize480x288

3

Another view looking north along Main street of Springwater NY toward the village center circa 1900. On the near left, just visible, is the bridge to Howe Avenue.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1900c_marvin_building_resize480x358

4

A view of the Marvin Building on Main Street in Springwater NY circa 1900. The view is to the south-west from East Avenue at the four corners in the village center. To the near right is Mill street.

On the left end of the building, high on the wall above the windows are the initials I. O. O. F. The International Order of Odd Fellows meeting hall was in the ground floor office under the sign. The I. O. O. F. office is also shown on the village map of Springwater in 1902.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Jane Schryver.

hcl_community_springwater_1900c_mill_st_looking_west01_resize480x288

5

A view looking west along Mill Street in Springwater NY circa 1900. The viewpoint is up high, perhaps from up the hill on East Avenue. On the left is a utility shed and then the Opera House which would eventually become the town hall. And further on the left is the Advent Church. On the right are the Anderson buildings.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1900c_mill_st_looking_west02_resize480x288

6

Another view looking west along Mill Street in Springwater NY circa 1900. The viewpoint is from East Avenue at the four corners in the village center. On the near left is the J. G. Morris building then across the street are the Marvin building, a utility shed, the Opera House which eventually became the town hall and finally the Advent Church. On the right are the Allen Whitlock store which burnt in 1909 and the Anderson buildings.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1902_bridge_reynolds_gull01_resize480x305

7

The covered bridge over the Reynolds Gull in Springwater NY collapsed in 1902. The bridge was located on Canadice Lake road north of the village of Springwater. Here is a photo of the bridge being reconstructed shortly after the collapse. The identity of the man and child are not known.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

Read the history of the Reynolds Gull Bridge here ->

hcl_community_springwater_1905_school_street_looking_north_resize480x316

8

This is a view looking north along School Street in Springwater NY circa 1905. On the left is believed to be the Mack house and on the right the Norton house.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1906_town_picnic_resize480x385

9

This is a photo of the Springwater NY “Town Picnic” taken in 1906. There was a period of about 10 years prior to the First World War that Springwater had these picnics. Many in the town showed up for the picture and the festivities.

The first man, third person from the bottom left is George P. Fisher. The woman seated to his left, with her hands in her lap, is his wife Carrie (Wheaton) Fisher. Seated directly behind Carrie is her mother, Sarah Wheaton and the man to her right is her husband, Samuel Wheaton who was Micheal Duffy’s great, great grandfather.

No other people in this photo have been identified. This photo courtesy of Michael Duffy.

hcl_community_springwater_1908_alonzo_snyder_residence_and_barn_fire_resize480x300

10

A photo showing the burning of the Alonzo Snyder residence at Springwater NY in 1908. The reason for the fire is not now known. The house was built in 1833 by David Grover. The Springwater map of 1872 shows that “A. Snyder” owned a house on South Main Street and much land to the west. The Springwater map of 1902 shows that “Mrs. A. Snyder” owned a house at the corner of Lowe Avenue and South Main Street. Photographed by Johnson.

Courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1908c_main_st_looking_north_resize480x288

11

A view looking north along Main street in Springwater NY circa 1908. On the left are the Marvin and then the Allen Whitlock buildings. On the right are the J. G. Morris and then the Densmore building.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1908c_main_st_looking_north_water_work01_resize480x288

12

A view looking north along Main street in Springwater NY circa 1908. On the left is the Allen Whitlock building and then the Empire Hotel. On the right is the Densmore building and then Mrs. Shannon’s home. The men seem to be doing some road work. None of the people have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1908c_main_st_looking_north_water_work02_resize480x288

13

A view looking north along Main street in Springwater NY circa 1908. The men seem to be doing some road work. Behind them is the Densmore building and then Mrs. Shannon’s home.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_allen_whitlock01_resize480x288

14

This is a view of the Allen Whitlock Store in Springwater NY in 1909. It was located at the four corners in Springwater. The road to the right is Main street going north. The road to the left is Mill street going west. The building behind the Whitlock store (to the right) is the Empire Hotel which also burnt in the fire of 1909. The people in the photo are unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_allen_whitlock02_post_fire_crowd_resize480x288

15

A view of the ruins of the Allen Whitlock store and Empire Hotel of Springwater NY after a fire on the 30th of November 1909. The buildings behind are the water and electric building to the left and the Opera House to the right which would eventually become the Town Hall. None of the people in the photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_allen_whitlock03_post_fire_crowd_resize480x300

16

A view of the ruins of the Allen Whitlock store and Empire Hotel of Springwater NY after a fire on the 30th of November 1909. The view is to the north looking toward Hemlock Lake. None of the people in the photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo by Johnson. Courtesy of Jane Schryver.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_allen_whitlock04_post_fire_crowd_resize480x288

17

Another view of the ruins after the fire that destroyed the Allen Whitlock store and the Empire Hotel in Springwater NY on the 30th of November 1909. The view is to the north looking along Main street. None of the people in the photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_allen_whitlock05_post_fire_resize480x315

18

Another view of the ruins after the fire that destroyed the Allen Whitlock store and the Empire Hotel in Springwater NY on the 30th of November 1909. This view is to the south looking along Main street.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_allen_whitlock06_post_fire_resize480x288

19

A view looking south along Main street in Springwater NY circa 1909 just after the Allen Whitlock fire. On the near left are the Densmore and J. G. Morris buildings. On the near right are the ruins of the Whitlock building and the Empire Hotel. In the distant right is the Marvin building.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_empire_hotel01_resize480x344

20

The Empire Hotel at 4 Main street in Springwater NY prior to 1909. This building burnt along with the Allen Whitlock store on the 30th of November 1909. The Whitlock building was just to the south (left) of the Empire Hotel.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Jane Schryver.

hcl_community_springwater_1909_main_st_empire_hotel02_resize480x360

21

The Empire Hotel at 4 Main street in Springwater NY prior to 1909. This building burnt along with the Allen Whitlock store on the 30th of November 1909. The Whitlock building was just to the south (left) of the Empire Hotel.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1909c_flower_carnival_resize240x320

22

There were Flower Carnivals held in Springwater NY and Webster’s Crossing NY in 1909. None of the people or flowers in the photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910_dam_at_north_main_street_resize480x390

23

This is a photo of the construction of the dam for the Springwater Water Works circa 1910. The dam was built uphill to the east from Kellogg road above the Ingraham and Hyde houses. The dam serviced 9 houses. No one in this photo has been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910_meyers_lumber_mill_resize480x306

24

This is a photo of the Meyer Lumber Mill at Reynolds Gull in Springwater NY circa 1910. This mill was above the Reynolds Gull near what is called Avery Gull or Meyer’s Gull. It was powered by water from the Sillman’s pond on Town Line Road.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_depot_road_looking_east_resize480x277

25

A distant view of the village of Springwater NY from Depot road looking east circa 1910. The Mount Vernon Evergreen Cemetery is visible along the left side of the photo. The steeple of the Advent Church on Mill Street can be seen in the village.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_evergreen_mt_vernon_cemetery01_looking_east_resize480x288

26

A view from the Mt. Vernon Evergreen cemetery looking east to the village of Springwater NY circa 1910. The steeple of the Advent Church on Mill street can be seen in the distance. There is a woman and three children standing next to a monument near the center of this photo.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_evergreen_mt_vernon_cemetery02_looking_east_resize480x288

27

Another view from the Mt. Vernon Evergreen cemetery looking east to the village of Springwater NY circa 1910. The steeples of the Advent Church on Mill street and the Methodist church on Main street can be seen in the distance. The Johnson Race Track is in the middle ground. And, just behind the race track is the original School Number 2 which was rebuilt in 1912.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_kellogg_road_looking_east_resize480x288

28

A view of Kellogg road of Springwater NY looking east from the west hill circa 1910. The white house to the far right, at the edge of the picture is the Kellogg homestead. The barn in the middle ground is the Kellogg barn. Behind the Kellogg barn is the small white house of D. B. Waite.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_kellogg_road_looking_south_west_resize480x288

29

A view of Springwater NY looking south west circa 1910. In the foreground right is the Kellogg barn again. To the left along Kellogg road is the D. B. Waite house (white). The large flat in the middle ground is the Earnest farm.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_kellogg_road_looking_west_resize480x288

30

A view of Kellogg road of Springwater NY looking west circa 1910. The barn in the middle ground is the Kellogg barn. It was moved into the village when the City of Rochester started removing buildings for the reservoir. In the fore ground are the Ingrahm and Caskey houses, then the O’Neil and Higgins houses. The white house to the left center was the D. B. Waite house.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_mill_st_looking_east_advent_church_resize480x288

31

This view is in the village of Springwater NY looking east along Mill street circa 1910. This is just west of the Advent Church looking toward the center of the village. On the right side of the street, just beside the church is where the flea market was held. The house on the far right, just visible, is owned by Joe Canute (2006). On the left side closest to the viewer is the house that belonged to Dr. Becker which now is Terry Carney’s home (2007). Further up the left side, with the “Horse Shoeing” sign in front, is Merton Holmes shop. Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1910c_mill_st_looking_east_from_west_hill_resize480x288

32

This is a view of Springwater NY village looking east along Mill street probably taken from Slaughter House road in circa 1910. On the far right side is the Johnson Race track. Along the far left side of the picture, the third building back, is the Creamery. Notice the line of people at the very bottom of the picture who may have been the Schwartz family. Perhaps they heard that a picture was being taken that day.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1911_looking_west_resize480x308

33

A foggy view of Springwater NY village in 1911 looking west from the east hill. The Methodist church on Main street can be seen in the lower right corner of the photo.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1912c_looking_southwest01_resize480x288

34

A panoramic view of Springwater village looking south west circa 1912. Right of center is the Earnest homestead. The Advent church steeple and village center can be seen to the left of center.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1912c_looking_southwest02_resize480x288

35

A panoramic view of Springwater NY looking south west circa 1912. The Advent church is visible to the right and the old town hall and the village center are to the left of center. In the background to the left is the brick school house on School street which was built in 1912.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1912c_looking_southwest03_resize480x288

36

Another panoramic view of Springwater NY looking south west circa 1912. The Advent church is visible in the photo center. The old town hall and the village center are left of center. Just visible along the left side of the photo is the Methodist church. In the background to the left is the brick school house on School street which was built in 1912. In the far background, on the slope is the Mt Vernon Evergreen Cemetery.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1912c_looking_southwest04_resize480x288

37

A view of Springwater NY village circa 1912. The Advent church can be seen along the right side of the picture and the Methodist church along the left side. The Marvin building can be made out in the village center and the brick school house on School street can just be seen among the tree tops at the far side of the village.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1914_higgins_garage_resize480x360

38

The Higgins Garage on Mill street in Springwater NY. The garage was located on Mill street across fromt he Opera House, Town Hall. The license on the auto says 1914. The make and year of the auto are unknown. The people in the photo are unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1915_holmes_merton_garage_resize480x360

39

A photo taken in front of Merton’s Garage in 1915. The transition from horse power to auto power could be the theme. The boy at the left on the horse is Horace Seward. The two men with the horses are: George Brokaw (left) and George Richardson. The people in the car are: Lucille Snyder (child at back), Molly Snyder (young girl), Minnie Seward (adult woman) and Fred Seward (driving). Clara Mack is leaning at the right front of the auto with Art Seward sitting near her on the fender. Claude Richardson is standing at the left front of the auto. The sign in the window says 1915. The make and year of the auto are unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1915c_plow_scene_looking_southwest_resize480x288

40

This is a view looking south into the Springwater NY valley from north of the village. The man plowing the field is unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1920c_mill_st_looking_west_resize480x288

41

A view looking west along Mill Street from the four corners in Springwater NY circa 1920. On the left stands the Marvin building, then the water and electric building, then the old town hall and opera house and finally the Advent Church.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1920c_miller_ernst_farm_looking_southeast_resize480x288

42

This is a view of Springwater NY looking south east circa 1920. The Earnest homestead is the large house visible along the left side of the picture. In the middle ground is the large brick school building which was built in 1912.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_camp_meeting01_west_hill_harpers_ferry_rd_resize480x304

43

This is a photo of what was called a “Camp Meetings” on the west hill of Springwater NY in the early 1930’s. The meetings were held somewhere on the Harper Ferry Road.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_camp_meeting02_west_hill_harpers_ferry_rd_resize480x306

44

This is a photo of what was called a “Camp Meeting” on the west hill of Springwater NY in the early 1930’s. The meetings were held somewhere on the Harper Ferry Road. None of the people in this photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_company_bankers_resize480x360

45

A scene from inside the Springwater NY Company Bankers office looking out onto Main street circa 1930. The bank was on the north east corner of the four corners in the Densmore Building. The steeple of the Advent Church and the front of the old town hall are visible out the window. Notice the very solid looking safe and of course, a spittoon on the floor next to the desk on the left. The person standing in the bank is unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_densmore_drugstore_bank_bookstore_resize480x360

46

The inside of the Densmore Building on the north east corner at the four corners in Springwater NY circa 1930. The building was a drugstore, a bank and most recently a Book Store. The person standing along the right wall is unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_grange_play_resize480x292

47

A photo of one of the Grange plays held in Springwater NY in the 1930’s. The name of the play is unknown. None of the people in the play have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_hayes_hosenfeld_store_resize480x288

48

A view of the A. A. Haynes Store on the south east corner of the four corners in Springwater NY circa 1930. The 1902 map of Springwater village shows that the building was owned by J. G. Morris.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_lumbaur01_resize480x288

49

The Lumbaur Building in Springwater NY circa 1930. The A. A. Haynes Grocery, Springwater Hardware and Furniture, Automobile sales and Doolittle Funeral Services were all located here. This building was just south of the Marvin building on Main street. None of the people in the photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_lumbaur02_resize480x360

50

The Lumbaur Building in Springwater NY circa 1930. The A. A. Haynes Grocery, Springwater Hardware and Furniture, Automobile sales and Doolittle Funeral Services were all located here. This building was just south of the Marvin building on Main street. None of the people in the photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_main_st_looking_south01_resize480x352

51

This is a view looking south from the four corners along Main Street in Springwater NY circa 1930. The buildings on the left were the Hyde Manufacturing building and then the Ludwig Funeral Home and finally the steeple of the Springwater Methodist church. The buildings along the right side are unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Lore Disalvo.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_main_st_looking_south02_resize480x288

52

A view looking south along Main street at the four corners in Springwater NY circa 1930. On the right is the Marvin Building then the Main Street Garage which was in the Lumbaur Building where the Stanley Steamer was sold.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_neil_wormuth_store_resize480x288

53

This is the Neil Wormuth store in Springwater NY circa 1930. It was called the “Smoky Grover” Barber shop. It was located in the southern corner of the Marvin Building on Main street. In the window, to the right of the double door, sits Grace Johnson, who was the telephone operator at the time. The sign on the front says it was the post office.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1930c_wilderness_camp_resize240x320

54

This is a photo of what was called “The Higgins Boys Wilderness Camp” in Tabor’s Corner NY in the 1930’s. On the right are Mae and George Higgins. On the left are Patti, Ken and Ron Ingraham and then George Richardson. The specific location of the Boy’s Camp is unknown.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1931_hyde_mfg_ludwig_funeral_main_st_resize480x288

55

A view of the south east corner of the four corners in Springwater NY in 1931. The building on the corner was the Hyde Manufacturing building. Next down the street, going south, was the Ludwig Funeral Home with the auto in front. The sign on the porch roof of the Hyde building says “American Legion”. And the sign post at the corner says “Elmira” and “Bath” and has an arrow which points south.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1931_main_st_looking_north_resize480x288

56

A view looking north along Main street at the four corners in Springwater NY in 1931. On the right stand the Densmore Store and then the Shannon Block house. The sign on the Densmore building says “Howe & Robinson”.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1931_mill_st_looking_west_resize480x288

57

A view looking west along Mill street in Springwater NY in 1931. On the right are Higgins Garage and then Dr. Becker’s house. On the left are the old town hall, which was once the Opera House, and then the Advent Church.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1932_creamery01_mill_st_resize480x288

58

A view of the Creamery on Mill street in Springwater NY in 1932. Doc Marsh, who is leaning out of the window, was the operator. Also in the picture are Charles Forrester, Henry Brewer and Charly Freary.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

Democrat & Chronicle

7 April 1897

Springwater has a new enterprise well under way in the shape of a butter factory. A stock company has been formed with a capital stock of about $8,500, and the contract for erecting the building and fitting it with modern machinery for dairy purposes awarded to the R. B. True Dairy Supply Company of Syracuse. The building will be erected on the site purchased on Mill Street from Mrs. Eliza Tyler. The foundations are already laid and the work is being pushed as rapidly as possible. The cost of the building furnished complete with engine and machinery ready for operation will be something over $8000, and according to the contract, will be in running order by May 1st. The directors of the company are Charles H. Marvin, Henry S. Brewer and James G. Morris.

hcl_community_springwater_1932_creamery02_mill_st_resize480x292

59

A view of the Creamery on Mill street in Springwater NY in 1932. The people in the photo are unidentified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Lore Disalvo.

hcl_community_springwater_1933c_erie_railroad_depot_resize480x330

60

A view of the Erie Railroad Depot in Springwater NY circa 1933. The station was located to the west of the village on Depot road.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Jane Schryver and Douglas Morgan.

hcl_community_springwater_1936_nursery_kellogg_road_resize480x265

61

This is a photo of the tree nursery that was on the flats north of Springwater NY along Kellogg Road in 1936. Most of the trees were deciduous and many were planted around the lakes.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1938_cannon_miller_workers_resize480x288

62

The Cannon Miller Company in Springwater NY in 1939. The company built radio equipment which became important during World War II. The names of the people are unknown.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1939_cannon_miller_workers_resize480x360

63

A picture of the employees of the Cannon Miller Company of Springwater NY in 1939. The company built radio equipment which became important during World War II. The people are:

Back row, left to right: James Duffy, William Shafer, Addison Miner, Otis Colegrove, Pat Burns, Clifford Mack, Waldo Snyder, Flora Colegrove, Cora Stuart, Lenny Gordon, Beulah Webster, Nelly Miner, George Redereich.

Front row, left to right: Cathrine Brokow, Olie Parker, Ruth Colegrove, Bertha Bash, Polly Cannon, Charles Cannon (owner), Florence Cannon, Alma Brock, Allie Robinson, Bertha Peck, Thelma Robinson.

Click the image to enlarge. This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1940_american_legion_resize240x360

64

A sailor displays the Kern - Robinson American Legion flag in Springwater NY in 1940. The identity of the sailor is unknown.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Sandy Booth.

hcl_community_springwater_1940_war_bond_sale_old_town_hall_resize480x376

65

This is a photo of a “War Bond Show” held in Springwater NY in 1940. The US was not in the war yet but the US was helping England. The show was held in the old Town Hall building on Mill Street. The 1902 map of Springwater village also refers to this building as the “Opera House”. None of the people in this photo have been identified.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1940c_wheaton_geo_store_main_st_resize480x360

66

This is a picture of the George Wheaton Store in Springwater NY circa 1940. It is located at the north west corner in the village center. It replaced the Allen Whitlock Store when it burnt in 1909. The building belonged to Roland and Thelma Gowen from sometime in the 1950’s to the mid 1970’s. They operated the “Gowen’s Good Groceries” on the north side of the building. There was also a barber shop on the southwest corner of the building during the 1960’s and early 1970’s. In recent times it was Dot’s Antiques and currently (2012) is the Springwater Post Office.

Click the image to enlarge.

Photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil. Information about this building courtesy of Michael Duffy.

hcl_community_springwater_1951_colegrove_station_resize480x326

67

A photo of the Colegrove gas station in Springwater NY in 1951. The station was on the south west corner of the four corners in the village. The man pumping the gas is Fredrick (Ted) Colegrove, who was the operator of the garage. The man standing in front of the garage door holding a bucket is Red Fugle.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Lore Disalvo. Information provided by Harvey Colegrove.

hcl_community_springwater_1954_aerial_view_resize480x360

68

An aerial photograph of Springwater NY taken in 1954 looking north along Route 15 and 15A. In the center of the photo can be seen the construction that moved the creek from Main street to its current location. To the west along Mill street was Harry Platt’s junk car lot.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

hcl_community_springwater_1992_old_town_hall_resize480x288

69

The old town hall of Springwater NY on Mill street looking west in 1992. Further down the street is the old Advent Church. The church was used as a business building and the steeple has been removed.

Click the image to enlarge.

This photo courtesy of Joyce O’Neil.

www.HemlockandCanadiceLakes.com