Asbell Lamont first settled on the farm now known as the Gray Farms located on Canadice Lake road on the east hill of Springwater NY. He was a farmer who worked his own farm and was an excellent game hunter. The Lamont farm appears on lot 62 of the map of Springwater NY in the year 1872.
Charles and Alice Curtice owned and farmed the 100 acres from 1880 to 1914. They raised sheep, grains and had a small dairy. In 1890 they built a Victorian farm house and new wooden barns that are still used in 2014. Their daughter Flora Curtice married Charles Schwab and they continued to farm with sheep, grains and a small dairy. Flora owned the farm until her death in 1962. The Curtice farm appears on lot 62 of the map of Springwater NY in the year 1926.
Robert Ehrlich and family purchased the farm in 1963 and had a small dairy of brown swiss cows.
In 1967 Donald and Margaret Gray purchased the farm and named it Gray Farms. Together they raised beef cattle, hay and grains. As the cattle number grew and more feed was needed the farm expanded. More cropland was purchased in the town of Sparta and in 1989 Pine Top Farm was purchased from Margaret’s father, Rudolph Kammerer, and for many years Donald and Margaret also raised and sold Christmas trees.
The Gray family still owns and works the farm (2014).
Click any image to enlarge.