Memorial Day, May 27, 1985 took on a special meaning for the descendants of John Garlinghouse, Revolutionary War soldier and his wife Jane Leonard Garlinghouse, at St. Paul’s Church Yard in Allen’s Hill. More than 75 of his descendants, their families and friends gathered at his gravesite in the cemetery to dedicate three new bronze markers for John Garlinghouse as well as his two sons, Joseph and Benjamin Garlinghouse who served in the War of 1812.
Memorial services were conducted by Edmund Nighan, Past Commander Post 1278 Honeoye - Hemlock American Legion. The Sons of the American Revoluton presented their colors and Mrs. Louise Wood, Regent Kanaghaws Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, read a brief meditation.
Inspirational prayers were offered by Chaplain John O’Connor of the American Legion and the Rev. Cathy Stengel of the Allen’s Hill Methodist Church.
Charles A. Garlinghouse, great-great-great-grandson of John Garlinghouse, honored not only those ancestors buried in Allen’s Hill Cemetery, but all veterans of America’s Wars. The dedication of the memorials was made by Commander Lawrence Briggs of the American Legion.
As the sounds from the volly of rifle fire echoed across the quiet hills and the stirring notes of Taps faded away into the distance, Memorial Day 1985 became a special memory for all of those who attended the decication service at Allen’s Hill.