Hemlock and Canadice Lakes

Welcome to Hemlock and Canadice Lakes!

Home About Us Contact Us Links Sitemap


Barns Businesses Cemeteries Churches Clinton & Sullivan Columns Communities Documents Events Time Line Fairs & Festivals Farm & Garden Hiking Homesteads Lake Cottages Lake Scenes Library News Articles Old Maps Old Roads & Bridges People Photo Gallery Railroad Reservoir Schools State Forest Veterans Videos






Metropolitan Hotel of Hemlock NY

See news articles below.



The Metropolitan was opened as a hotel on Memorial Day, May 30, 1850. The south end of the building, which was the old original tavern, was erected about 1810. The hotel was a stop-over on the old stage coach route, in the days before the railroad.

A ballroom on the third floor of the “Met” was supported by cork pine stringers which spanned the entire length of the building. In the basement, which was thought to be a station on the underground railroad during the Civil War days, was also one of the first bowling alleys in Livingston County.



A photo of the Metropolitan Hotel on Main street in Hemlock NY circa 1900. This photo was taken by John W. Beam.

This photo is courtesy of Tom Westbrook.

Click the image to enlarge.

News Articles


The Metropolitan Hotel in Hemlock celebrates 100 Years

On 30 May 1950 the Metropolitan Hotel in Hemlock NY celebrated its 100th anniversary. Frank Connor tells us some of the old stories about the hotel.

Livonia Gazette


The Metropolitan Hotel in Hemlock Changes Owership

Rudolph Johnson purchased the Metropolitan hotel in Hemlock in 1961 from the estate of Elizabeth Haggerty.

Livonia Gazette


The Metropolitan Hotel in Hemlock burned on 5 May 1977

On 5 May 1977 the Metropolitan Hotel in Hemlock NY caught fire and burned to the ground. The hotel began in 1810 and was a familiar landmark in the region.

Livonia Gazette