Hemlock and Canadice Lakes

Welcome to Hemlock and Canadice Lakes!

Home About Us Contact Us Links Sitemap

 

Barns Businesses Cemeteries Churches Clinton & Sullivan Columns Communities Documents Events Time Line Fairs & Festivals Farm & Garden Hiking Homesteads Lake Cottages Lake Scenes Library News Articles Old Maps Old Roads & Bridges People Photo Gallery Railroad Reservoir Schools State Forest Veterans Videos

 

 

 

 

 

Home

See what’s New ->

Our Community - Past & Present

Our Feature Articles

Search the Web
Search only www.HemlockandCanadiceLakes.com

Click the above logo to see what’s happening.

HELP WANTED

Can you help us identify these people and their families? Click the image to read more.

Couple of the Month

Olin Mather and Gladys Richardson lived in Dixon Hollow NY circa 1920. Click the image to read more.

Place of the Month

The Brown homestead in Canadice NY circa 1880. Click the image to read more.

Event of the Month

In 1924 the Briggs brothers of Richmond had a double wedding. Click the image to read more.

Memory Lane

Here is our Memory Lane, the place where we share our memories, reminiscences and stories. Click the logo to read more.

Hiking at Hemlock and Canadice Lakes

Here are topo maps of some of the more popular trails around the lakes. Click image to see more.

Slide Show

Take a quick slide show through of Hemlock and Canadice Lakes. Click the image to start.

Springwater Bicentennial

The Springwater Bicentennial was in April 2016 but events are planned for the whole year. Click the image to read more.

Some More Interesting Items

The Canadice Chronicle

The Canadice Chronicle was originally a somewhat monthly newsletter published by the Canadice Town Historian, the late John Hopkins, and his wife Amy from 1990 to 2000. Read some of the articles here.

Canadice

The Metropolitan Hotel of Hemlock NY

The Metropolitan was opened as a hotel on Memorial Day, May 30, 1850. The south end of the building, which was the old original tavern, was erected about 1810. The hotel was a stop-over on the old stage coach route, in the days before the railroad.

Hemlock

Newspaper Clips from Hemlock and Canadice Lakes

Here is a collection of newspaper clips from various Newspapers in the lakes region. The subject matter ranges from humorous to very serious and it is all interesting reading. More clips will be added.

All Communities

The Miller Lure Company of Springwater NY

In 1919 Edmund Miller took up partnership with Charles Cannon producing earphone headsets in Springwater. After ten years Miller sold out to Cannon, and Miller began the manufacture of metal fishing lures.

Springwater

The Rosary Grotto of Conesus NY

The history of Saint Michael’s Mission began in 1926 when the priests and brothers of the Divine Word Missionaries came to Conesus to continue the operation of Bishop McQuaid’s vineyards.

Conesus

Strawberry Festivals in Canadice NY

The first strawberry festival of the Canadice Church was held on Saturday, June 28, 1879 and was sponsored by Mrs. Asher (Esther) Norton and George W. Sharpstein. The entry fee was 25 cents.

Canadice

Hemlock High School Alumni 1914 - 1958

Here is the list of all graduates from the Hemlock High School in Hemlock NY from 1914 - 1958.

Hemlock

Clara Mack of Springwater NY

Clara Mack wrote essays for the Wayland Register between 1935 and 1950 and called them “Thoughts by a Country Woman”. In 1938 she won second prize in a national contest for the selection of the best country newspaper correspondent for the year.

Springwater

The Flying School of Hemlock NY NY

The Hemlock Flying Field existed in Hemlock NY from 1928 to about 1938. Besides the normal airplane services, there were derby races held here and in 1931 the first helicopter came to Hemlock.

Hemlock

George Wilson of Honeoye NY

“Hey, boy. Wanna take a ride?” called the Yankee soldier from his railroad car window to the 12 year old black youngster standing on the crowded Washington, D. C. station platform. It was June 1, 1865 and the Civil War had ended.

Honeoye

Dixon Hollow NY

Dixon Hollow was a small milling community located along the Canadice Outlet between Hemlock and Canadice Lakes prior to 1920. The community was removed as the City of Rochester developed the reservoir.

Dixon Hollow

The Jacque House on Hemlock Lake

The Jacques House was located at the foot of Hemlock Lake NY, west of the two outlets which the lake had at that time. It was a large three-story house with a wing on the north end which was all of 75 feet long.

Hemlock

The 1896 Governors Race in Canadice

The race for Governor in New York State has begun to heat up, as expected. Campaign posters are beginning to show up all across the lakes region. One even appeared on the inside of the Coykendall Barn in Canadice NY.

Canadice

The Pail System on Hemlock Lake

From 1886 to 1891, a pail system was used to gathered sewage from around the lake. The lake was to be used as a reservoir for the City of Rochester and had to be protected.

Hemlock

www.HemlockandCanadiceLakes.com